Sunday, December 29, 2013

The Miracle of Snowflakes

As I was trying to come up with some new winter garden flags and had decided I wanted to design a snowflake monogram flag I started scanning the web for inspiration.  I came across a website about a most incredible man whom I am surprised is not more widely known.  His name is Wilson A Bentley otherwise known as "Snowflake Bentley"  This wonderful quote by him from his website http://snowflakebentley.com/index.htm got my attention. 

"Under the microscope, I found that snowflakes were miracles of beauty; and it seemed a shame that this beauty should not be seen and appreciated by others. Every crystal was a masterpiece of design and no one design was ever repeated., When a snowflake melted, that design was forever lost. Just that much beauty was gone, without leaving any record behind."
Link to snowflakesWilson "Snowflake" Bentley 1925




He captured over 5000 snowflakes and photographed them.  It was he who came to the conclusion that no two snowflakes are alike.  Do check out the website for lots of wonderful information and gifts pertaining to snowflakes.
 
I can remember as a child catching snow on my mittens and trying to study an individual flake.  They are truly very magical.  This decorative yard flag is in honor of all those little miracles. 

Snowflake Monogram Garden Flag


No comments:

Post a Comment